Thursday, May 10, 2012

The girl I used to Be

     From May 2012-

 Two nights ago, I was writing in my journal.  The past few days have been pretty rough, after not getting the job I really wanted, and after not getting the boy I've currently got my heart set on.  So naturally, I was venting all of my frustrations into my trusting journal, not to mention the $100 to fix my computer.  Needless to say, I had quite a bit to vent.  Then I stopped writing about the irritations of the day, and simply reflected on something interesting that had occurred in my life.
On my way out to college- August 2011


       On Sunday, I ran into a past boy-friend, and he was exactly the same.  I got to really thinking about that moment when I saw him, and how I was able to smile and say hi, no hint of hesitation or pain in my whole being, and how he couldn't.  I realized, in that journal-writing time...I really have changed.  I'm not who I used to be, and I am entirely happy with who I am now.  

      Life is a continual progression forward.  We're always so worried about not changing too much, or holding onto past things that were perfect, but I am asking you...why? 
 We cannot move forward if we never allow ourselves to let go of the past.
 That's like tying yourself to a huge rock and then walking forward like you actually might go somewhere...that's not how it works.  

      We are supposed to change, we are supposed to progress.  And this realization hit me with so much emotion, that lo and behold a new song was born.  No- I am not who I used to be, and that is fine with me. I like the girl I see when I wake up in the morning.  I love her inside and out- no matter how much I wish was better, or what love-handles I wish didn't exist at all.  I still love that girl I see, and I am happy with the changes that have taken place in life.  

Remember the days,
 when the world was still new?
I thought magic and kings, fairies with wings,
weren't stories, but true.

Late under my sheets, 
I turned pages and pages,
convincing myself- they were real.

Years have gone by,
 the mysteries have faded 
that I used to see...
I'm not who I used to be.

(Music break)

When I was seventeen,
I believed I could change anything,
about a boy from a different land
who happened to take my hand.

But one day I realized 
It was me who was changing...
not him or his lies.

(Chorus)
I've come to know the one in the mirror,
I've seen the hopes of a fairytale dreamer,
coming to life, 
after pain, after strife
and Im finally starting to see...
I'm not who I used to be.

The chains of the past,
hold to me fast,
but I'm breaking free from their misery
I'm not the girl I used to be.

So I wait for the day, 
my prince walks my way,
straight from my dreams
into reality
and to who I'm becoming.

(Chorus)
I've come to know the one in the mirror,
I've seen the hopes of a fairytale dreamer,
coming to life, 
after pain, after strife
and Im finally starting to see...
I'm not who I used to be.


After freshman year- May 2012
Now you may not see much of a difference between these two pictures, but to me- one girl is lost, and looking for herself, and this girl...she knows who she is now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment